While the idea of having your own roping arena is appealing, the thought of designing and building an arena is often a daunting one. Not to worry, this is where the experts at Priefert Ranch Equipment can help. Priefert is proud to offer a number of pre-designed arena kits. Priefert’s Roping Arenas provide a safe and attractive area for riding and practicing. Our most popular arena size, this arena layout is 150’ wide by 250’ long and includes everything ropers need to create a great practice pen.
As the official equipment provider for the PRCA, NFR, and PBR, Priefert Arenas are used and endorsed by the top athletes and organizations in the world. This basic arena layout features a set of Priefert Roping Boxes, along with the most widely used roping chute in the country – Priefert’s Model RC19M Manual Roping Chute. The opposite end of the arena includes an elevated Priefert Stripping Chute that leads into a small catch pen. A 10’ wide return alley connects the catch pen with the lead up alley to the roping chute. This return alley makes it convenient to return a set of steers or calves for a second round of runs.
This arena layout is available in three different panel options: Utility, Premier, or Rough Stock Arena Panels. Our Utility Panel is our number one selling “Horse-Safe” Panel, offering a number of safety features not found on competitors’ panels. Premier Panels are constructed from our patented Quadraform™ tubing to allow for maximum strength and flexibility. Our Utility and Premier Panels feature chain connectors to ensure tight connections and offer increased versatility to allow for connections over uneven ground. Rough Stock Arena Panels are engineered to handle the high stress crowding of livestock and offer a full 6’ of height. These panels connect using sturdy Rough Stock pin connectors to allow for quick and secure connections. All Priefert panels feature an Architectural Grade Powder Coat Finish to help them resist rust, scratches, and fading.
When building an arena, one of the most important decisions to be made is whether to build it permanently in place or to purchase portable panels for installation. This is where the experts at Priefert Ranch Equipment can help. More and more individuals, municipalities, and organizations are opting for the modular route for a variety of reasons. Here are the top 10 reasons for choosing Priefert panels to construct your arena.
Reason 1: Versatility
Portable panel structures provide versatility that permanent pens can’t offer. Often times, arenas are built on a budget with future plans for expansion, or the requirements of the arena change over time, requiring modifications to the layout to accommodate these new needs. Portable panels can be moved, and the structure can be easily expanded or reduced in size with minimal effort, unlike the permanent alternative. Once permanent pens are in place, change is a major undertaking. Depending on the permanent construction method, these structural modifications are often labor intensive and can require expensive third party labor costs.
Reason 2: Portability
The portability of Priefert’s panels is a huge benefit. Priefert arenas can be relocated on your current property, they can be taken with you if you move, or the panels can be repurposed into paddocks, round pens, etc. if you desire. Portable arenas/panels can be sold if no longer needed. Adjusting for inflation, most modular panels purchased 10 years ago are worth as much today used as they were when they were originally purchased.
Reason 3: Ease of Installation/Time Saving
Priefert panels are easy to set up. Unlike permanent installations, no skilled labor from welders or carpenters is required. This can significantly reduce the cost of installation. Because they are so easy to work with, two or three men can put up a panel arena in a fraction of the time it takes to build permanent facilities. Depending on the size and type of arena setup, installation can be completed in one or two days from start to finish.
Reason 4: Cost Savings
Cost is one of the top considerations in any project. In many cases, the initial cost of a portable panel arena is less than the labor, material and time costs of a permanent installation. When taking maintenance costs into consideration, panel arenas are almost always a more cost effective investment than permanent. Another factor that people often overlook is property taxes. Although the laws vary from state to state, many times the addition of a permanent structure, like an arena, becomes a taxable asset, while portable or “temporary” structures do not incur these taxes.
Reason 5: Adaptability
Priefert panels can easily be connected to many competitors’ panels and are often available with special connectors to attach to existing permanent pens. This adaptability allows you to utilize and/or connect to materials you may already have in place.
Reason 6: Appearance
Priefert panels and gates are made with the best materials available and are powder coated for a long lasting, good looking facility. Priefert uses a powder with UV inhibitors to help the panel resist the fading effects of sunlight, ensuring that your panels look good for many years to come. This powder also results in a high gloss, furniture quality finish that has a beautiful aesthetic appeal.
Reason 7: Low Maintenance
Another benefit of Priefert’s Architectural Grade Powder Coating process is that it means no painting and re-painting. Priefert’s powder coat finish is made to last, making it a great low maintenance option. Most permanent installations require expensive rust preventative maintenance every year, along with new coats of paint every few years to keep the arena looking fresh.
Reason 8: Safety
Priefert has the best reputation in the industry for building arenas and panels with safety in mind for both man and animal. Permanent installations are often built using local welders or laborers who usually do not have experience with livestock. Given their lack of experience, they often overlook many of the details that are crucial to safety. These can range from sharp exposed edges to poor designs in regard to livestock flow.
Reason 9: Durability
Priefert arenas are designed to be durable. Priefert panels feature single piece, vertical stays that are fitted through drilled rails to increase the panel’s strength. In fact, Priefert products are so tough and reliable that they are the exclusive equipment choice of the top professionals and organizations in the country, such as the PBR and the PRCA.
Reason 10: Options
Priefert understands that arenas are not a “one size fits all” product, so we offer a number of options when it comes to panel types and accessories to help each customer find the best fit for their budget. Priefert also offers a variety of arena kits for basic riding arenas, roping arenas, rough stock arenas and combination arenas, making it easy to select an arena layout that fits a customer’s specific needs. Additionally, Priefert offers roping chutes, bucking chutes, stripping chutes, and the ArenaMaster, making Priefert a one stop shop for all your arena needs.
While this list focuses on the benefits of choosing portable over permanent arena installations, this same portable vs permanent debate applies to many different items around the farm or ranch, from round pens and paddocks to cattle working systems.
- As the official equipment provider for the PRCA, NFR, and PBR, Priefert Arenas are used and endorsed by the top athletes and organizations in the world.
- Priefert’s Roping Arenas provide a safe and attractive area for riding and practicing.
- Our most popular arena size, this basic Roping Arena layout is 150’ wide by 250’ long and includes a roping chute setup complete with roping boxes, a stripping chute, and a 10’ wide return alley.
- Priefert Adjustable Roping Boxes provide a safe place for horse and rider to wait for the release of a steer or calf. Each box features arched legs to provide better bracing and prevent injuries to horse’s legs. The corner of both sides of the box is sheeted to prevent horses from sitting.
- Our Roping Boxes allows you to easily adjust barrier from 16’ to 22’ deep in seconds.
- The feet along the side of the roping box are designed to be set 10” below ground level, so no concrete is required for installation. The back of the box can be lifted up or folded back to provide ample space for quick and easy dirt leveling.
- The RC19M is specifically engineered to be as quiet as possible. The unique braking system used to control the front release gate virtually eliminates noise prevalent with competitor chutes and is designed to reduce the need for manual adjustment to keep the brake working as intended over time.
- The RC19M’s easy fingertip touch release ensures that every roper gets the same release of the steer or calf. The improved release always requires the same amount of pressure to operate, regardless of any pressure inside the chute from a steer or calf pushing on the front gate.
- The RC19M features contoured sides that narrow at the bottom to discourage animals from turning around in the chute. With a 14” inside width at the bottom, this chute can be used for both steers and calves.
- The lead up alley to the chute is constructed from Priefert’s Steer Alley Panel and features a 90 degree turn.
- The V-shape of our Steer Alleys are made to create a seamless flow from alley to section to chute. With three top adjustment settings, the alley can be narrowed up for calves or widened to accommodate steers of various sizes. With a 13” inside width at the bottom, this alley kit discourages animals from turning around, while the sheeted bottom reduces the risk of leg injuries.
- Three “no-back” alley stops are included to prevent cattle from backing out of the alley once loaded.
- This arena layout also features a small catch pen with a Stripping Chute setup at the entry.
- Priefert’s Stripping Chute is designed to create a safe area for removing ropes and/or head wraps from steers. This 8’ long elevated stripping chute features v-shaped walls that narrow at the bottom to discourage animals from turning around in the chute.
- The Stripping Chute’s front gate can easily be operated from the ground or from horseback. The “step over” entry discourages steers from backing out of the chute, while the grid floor and ramp provide better traction and prevent dirt from accumulating.
- Another feature of this arena layout is the 10’wide return alley that connects the catch pen with the lead up alley to the roping chute. This return alley makes it convenient to return a set of steers or calves for a second round of runs.
- This arena layout is available in three different panel options: Utility, Premier, or Rough Stock Arena.
- Our number one selling “Horse-Safe” panel line, Utility Panels are recommended for enclosures where heavy pressure is not expected.
- Premier Panels are constructed from our patented Quadraform™ tubing to allow for maximum strength and flexibility. Popular among horse and cattle owners alike, these panels designed for use in crowding applications.
- Utility and Premier Panels feature “Fishhooks” on the top corners of each panel to help strengthen the corners and to help prevent leg traps between panels. They also feature single piece vertical stays that are fitted through drilled rails provide additional strength and structural integrity to our panels.
- Utility and Premier Panels use chain connectors, which allow for quick, tight connections between panels and gates. They also offer increased versatility for connecting to panels over uneven ground.
- The ROPING7 Arena is primarily constructed from Utility Panels with the crowding and high stress areas constructed from Premier Panels.
- Rough Stock Arena Panels are engineered to handle the high stress crowding of livestock. These panels feature straight legs with sealed tops and bottoms to prevent moisture from getting inside the panel legs.
- Rough Stock Arena Panels offer a full 6’ of height to help discourage livestock from jumping on the panels. Heavy duty, fully welded vertical stays provide maximum strength and stability.
- Rough Stock Arena Panels connect using sturdy Rough Stock pin connectors to allow for quick and secure connections between panels and to additional components.
- Our panels feature an Architectural Grade Powder Coat Finish with UV inhibitors to add years of life to your investment by helping the product resist rust, scratches and fading.
- Don’t forget to ask about our Gate Posts (AGP) and T-Posts, each sold separately.
~ Specs ~
- Arena Dimensions: 150’ x 250’ with a 10’ return alley
- Each Roping Arena is constructed from 12’ panels and includes a Model 19 Manual Roping Chute, Steer Panel Alley Kits with a 90 degree turn, 3 “no-back” alley stops, a Stripping Chute, and a set of Roping Boxes
- Crowding and high stress areas of ROPING7 Arena are constructed from Premier Panels
- Utility Panels constructed from 1.66” OD 20 gauge round tubing, with 1.050” OD vertical stays fitted through drilled rails
- Premier Panels constructed from 1.66” OD 16 gauge Quadraform™ tubing, with 1.050” OD vertical stays fitted through drilled rails
- Rough Stock Arena Panels constructed from 2” OD 16 gauge tubing
- Panels, Stripping Chute, Roping Chute, and Roping Boxes feature Architectural Grade Powder Coat Finish
- Don’t forget to ask about our Gate Posts (AGP) and T-Posts, each sold separately