While the idea of having your own roping arena is appealing, the thought of designing and building an arena is often a daunting one. Not to worry, this is where the experts at Priefert Ranch Equipment can help. Priefert is proud to offer a number of pre-designed arena kits. Priefert’s Roping Arenas provide a safe and attractive area for riding and practicing. Our “Bare Bones” Roping Arenas are 120’ wide by 240’ feet long and includes the essentials needed for a roping pen. This arena layout is available in two different panel options: Economy or Utility. Priefert’s Economy Panels are our most economically priced panel and are proof that you don’t have to sacrifice quality or durability to save money. Our Utility Panel is our number one selling “Horse-Safe” Panel, offering a number of safety features not found on competitor’s panels. Priefert panels feature chain connectors to ensure tight connections and offer increased versatility to allow for connections over uneven ground. An Architectural Grade Powder Coat Finish helps the panels to resist rust, scratches, and fading to add years of life to your investment.
As the official equipment provider for the PRCA, NFR, and PBR, Priefert Arenas are used and endorsed by the top athletes and organizations in the world. This “Bare Bones” arena layout features roping boxes constructed from Priefert’s Premier Panels. It also includes the most widely used roping chute in the country – Priefert’s Model RC98M Manual Roping Chute. The opposite end of the arena includes a small catch pen with a stripping area. This layout is ideal for ropers looking for an economical way to set up a practice pen of their own.
When building an arena, one of the most important decisions to be made is whether to build it permanently in place or to purchase portable panels for installation. This is where the experts at Priefert Ranch Equipment can help. More and more individuals, municipalities, and organizations are opting for the modular route for a variety of reasons. Here are the top 10 reasons for choosing Priefert panels to construct your arena.
Reason 1: Versatility
Portable panel structures provide versatility that permanent pens can’t offer. Often times, arenas are built on a budget with future plans for expansion, or the requirements of the arena change over time, requiring modifications to the layout to accommodate these new needs. Portable panels can be moved, and the structure can be easily expanded or reduced in size with minimal effort, unlike the permanent alternative. Once permanent pens are in place, change is a major undertaking. Depending on the permanent construction method, these structural modifications are often labor intensive and can require expensive third party labor costs.
Reason 2: Portability
The portability of Priefert’s panels is a huge benefit. Priefert arenas can be relocated on your current property, they can be taken with you if you move, or the panels can be repurposed into paddocks, round pens, etc. if you desire. Portable arenas/panels can be sold if no longer needed. Adjusting for inflation, most modular panels purchased 10 years ago are worth as much today used as they were when they were originally purchased.
Reason 3: Ease of Installation/Time Saving
Priefert panels are easy to set up. Unlike permanent installations, no skilled labor from welders or carpenters is required. This can significantly reduce the cost of installation. Because they are so easy to work with, two or three men can put up a panel arena in a fraction of the time it takes to build permanent facilities. Depending on the size and type of arena setup, installation can be completed in one or two days from start to finish.
Reason 4: Cost Savings
Cost is one of the top considerations in any project. In many cases, the initial cost of a portable panel arena is less than the labor, material and time costs of a permanent installation. When taking maintenance costs into consideration, panel arenas are almost always a more cost effective investment than permanent. Another factor that people often overlook is property taxes. Although the laws vary from state to state, many times the addition of a permanent structure, like an arena, becomes a taxable asset, while portable or “temporary” structures do not incur these taxes.
Reason 5: Adaptability
Priefert panels can easily be connected to many competitors’ panels and are often available with special connectors to attach to existing permanent pens. This adaptability allows you to utilize and/or connect to materials you may already have in place.
Reason 6: Appearance
Priefert panels and gates are made with the best materials available and are powder coated for a long lasting, good looking facility. Priefert uses a powder with UV inhibitors to help the panel resist the fading effects of sunlight, ensuring that your panels look good for many years to come. This powder also results in a high gloss, furniture quality finish that has a beautiful aesthetic appeal.
Reason 7: Low Maintenance
Another benefit of Priefert’s Architectural Grade Powder Coating process is that it means no painting and re-painting. Priefert’s powder coat finish is made to last, making it a great low maintenance option. Most permanent installations require expensive rust preventative maintenance every year, along with new coats of paint every few years to keep the arena looking fresh.
Reason 8: Safety
Priefert has the best reputation in the industry for building arenas and panels with safety in mind for both man and animal. Permanent installations are often built using local welders or laborers who usually do not have experience with livestock. Given their lack of experience, they often overlook many of the details that are crucial to safety. These can range from sharp exposed edges to poor designs in regard to livestock flow.
Reason 9: Durability
Priefert arenas are designed to be durable. Priefert panels feature single piece, vertical stays that are fitted through drilled rails to increase the panel’s strength. In fact, Priefert products are so tough and reliable that they are the exclusive equipment choice of the top professionals and organizations in the country, such as the PBR and the PRCA.
Reason 10: Options
Priefert understands that arenas are not a “one size fits all” product, so we offer a number of options when it comes to panel types and accessories to help each customer find the best fit for their budget. Priefert also offers a variety of arena kits for basic riding arenas, roping arenas, rough stock arenas and combination arenas, making it easy to select an arena layout that fits a customer’s specific needs. Additionally, Priefert offers roping chutes, bucking chutes, stripping chutes, and the Arena Master, making Priefert a one stop shop for all your arena needs.
While this list focuses on the benefits of choosing portable over permanent arena installations, this same portable vs permanent debate applies to many different items around the farm or ranch, from round pens and paddocks to cattle working systems.
- As the official equipment provider for the PRCA, NFR, and PBR, Priefert Arenas are used and endorsed by the top athletes and organizations in the world.
- Priefert’s Riding Arenas are ideal for a number of disciplines, providing a safe and attractive area for riding and practicing.
- Our “Bare Bones” Roping Arenas are 120’ wide by 240’ long and include a roping chute and stripping area.
- This “Bare Bones” arena layout features roping boxes constructed from Priefert’s Premier Panels. It also includes the most widely used roping chute in the country – Priefert’s Model RC98M Manual Roping Chute.
- The RC98M is specifically engineered to be as quiet as possible. The unique braking system used to control the front release gate is set to virtually eliminate noise prevalent with competitor chutes.
- The RC98M’s easy fingertip touch release and spring assisted opening ensures that every roper gets the same release of the steer or calf.
- The RC98M features contoured sides that narrow at the bottom to discourage animals from turning around in the chute. With a 14” inside width at the bottom, this chute can be used for both steers and calves.
- The lead up alley to the chute features a “no-back” alley stop to prevent cattle from backing out of the alley once loaded.
- This “Bare Bones” arena layout also features a small catch pen with a stripping area setup at the entry. The stripping chute consists of Priefert’s Stripping Chute Entry Frame, Stripping Chute Release Gate, a 12’ Premier Panel and a 12’ Premier Corral Gate.
- This arena layout is available in two different panel options: Economy or Utility.
- Economy Panels are Priefert’s least expensive panel option, and are proof that you don’t have to sacrifice quality or durability to save money. Popular among horse owners, these panels designed for use with cooperative animals and are NOT for heavy crowding situations.
- Our number one selling “Horse-Safe” panel line, Utility Panels are recommended for enclosures where heavy pressure is not expected.
- High stress/crowding areas of this layout are constructed from Premier Panels. Premier Panels are constructed from our patented Quadraform™ tubing to allow for maximum strength and flexibility.
- Premier Panels are constructed from our patented Quadraform™ tubing to allow for maximum strength and flexibility. Popular among horse and cattle owners alike, these panels designed for use in crowding applications.
- Economy Panels feature loop legs while Utility and Premier Panels feature J-legs to increase the ease of portability and help prevent panels from sinking into wet or boggy ground.
- Utility and Premier Panels also feature “Fishhooks” on the top corners of each panel to help strengthen the corners and to help prevent leg traps between panels.
- Single piece vertical stays that are fitted through drilled rails provide additional strength and structural integrity to our panels.
- Chain connectors allow for quick, tight connections between panels and gates that help eliminate dangerous foot traps. They also offer increased versatility for connecting to panels over uneven ground.
- Our panels feature an Architectural Grade Powder Coat Finish with UV inhibitors to add years of life to your investment by helping the product resist rust, scratches, and fading.
- Don’t forget to ask about our Gate Posts (AGP) and T-Posts, each sold separately.
~ Specs ~
- Arena Dimensions: 120’ x 240’
- Each Roping Arena is constructed from 12’ panels and includes a Model 98 Manual Roping Chute, and a stripping chute area constructed with a Stripping Chute Entry Frame and Stripping Chute Release Gate
- The roping box area of each arena is constructed from Premier Panels
- Economy Panels constructed from 1.66” OD 20 gauge round tubing, with 1.050” OD vertical stays fitted through drilled rails
- Utility Panels constructed from 1.66” OD 20 gauge round tubing, with 1.050” OD vertical stays fitted through drilled rails
- Architectural Grade Powder Coat Finish